Friendly Fridays: Request Wildlife Crossing Signs!

An elk (Cervus canadensis), also known as waipiti.

Oftentimes it’s hard to think of ways to make a tangible difference when it comes to conserving and protecting wildlife, but it doesn’t take a world-renowned scientist to affect change — everyone can make a positive impact!

If you’ve ever felt like a certain stretch of highway or road is more heavily used by wildlife than others, you can contact the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) and request that a wildlife crossing sign be installed in the area. Your request will then be forwarded to the traffic engineer assigned for that exact area.

Such signs aren’t a quick fix for an issue as chronic and complex as wildlife-vehicle collisions, but they at least provide some alert to potential road hazards. You can help set a safe example by reducing your speed and remaining especially vigilant through the stretch of road specified on the sign.

NDOT’s website has a full list of safety tips about driving and staying safe on the road. If you have any suggestions of your own, contact NDOT at

Aaron Huelsman

Leave a Reply Text

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *